There’s a lot to be said for doing nothing.
Even though you’re never really doing nothing, of course.
Theres always something going on.
In your head.
And more often than not – the something that goes on in your head when you’re doing nothing is really quite something!
Somethings from Nothing
The excellent Somethings from Nothing that happen in my head when I am doing nothing include:
- Bad ideas.
- Good ideas.
- Remembering to call someone that I said I’d call. Then calling.
- Actually fucking reading one or two of those emails I’ve saved in my inbox to read. That I don’t read.
- Doing a favour for someone, unprompted. And without expecting thanks.
- Remembering something funny about something that happened within the last week or so. And laughing.
- Thinking about how boring and shit certain corners of my life are, wondering why the hell I am doing them in the first place, and deciding therefore to stop doing them.
- Remembering how lucky I am.
- Identifying toxins in my life and frowning and silently shaking my head at how stupid I am to binge. (Alcohol. Netflix. Crisps. Looking at websites that force me to then try to remember where the bloody ‘Clear Browsing History’ thing is).
- Looking at the most important things in the whole world and being thankful. Trees. Rain. Animals. People. Fresh air. My education and freedom. I could go on and on and on (and so could you, of course).
And so it is that I have a new slogan for life.
‘Nothing is the new Something’.
I thought of it just now.
When I was doing nothing.